Author: Curt

Charleston Rag

The Charleston Rag originally went by other names such as “Sounds of Africa”. Eubie Blake composed this in 1899 while in his early teens. It didn’t get written down until as late as 1917 when it was also made into piano rolls. Terry Waldo, a student of Eubie Blake, wrote a transcription in 1972 when …

Ice Cream Truck

My neighborhood in California is plagued by an ice cream truck that can be heard often from blocks away. Sorry if you have been subject to it. If so, you might want to skip this to avoid psychological trauma. Downloads The usual software was used to transcribe (Transcribe!) and typeset (Lilypond) this music. Unfortunately, the …

Shooting Targets

Here are some namesake themed pistol shooting targets in PDF format. They work especially well if printed on thicker paper or card stock, which are then attached to target frames at the shooting range using a staple gun or masking tape. There are four files for two paper sizes (8.5 x 11 or 11 x …

Pentomino Packing

Beer/Soda Can Insulator, 3D Printed and Customizable

This project started out as a parameterized cross-hatched mesh cup of the right size to hold a soda can, for practice with the OpenSCAD software. A set of spiral arms is extruded from the base with a twist, and a second set of spiral arms with opposite twist overlaps the first set. I also put …

COVID Trends for Santa Clara County, CA

Idiot Test

This trivially simple game was not my idea, but it was one of my first JavaScript projects. Enjoy (but beware!)

Cryptogram Helper

Whether you like doing daily cryptograms from the local newspaper or creating your own, you may find Cryptogram Helper interesting. Click below to try it out. This utility will let you type in a cryptogram, or copy/paste it from another web page, and work on it easily without worrying about pencil and eraser. If you …

Tatum: Tiny’s Exercise

In the video below, Art Tatum and his band are warming up at Three Deuces in New York City, Dec 5th 1943. Here is my transcription of it, with piano and bass. Play MIDI Stop MIDI

Waiting For the Robert E Lee

This fun piece from 1912 was made popular by Al Jolson and other performers. It’s from the ragtime era (1900-1920) and is sometimes heard at ragtime festivals. After seeing a version of this being played on a calliope, I found the original sheet music as published by F. A. Mills in 1912, and re-typeset it …